Sunday 28 February 2016

A Weekend In The Garden - Mulch Making

This weekend I've been hanging in the veggie patch. It was time for a good clean up, things had got way out of control and I could barely walk along the paths, they were so overrun by pumpkins!



One thing I've learnt in recent years is that mulching the old plants is super nutritious for your garden soil. However when it's still big (not broken up) it doesn't break down as quickly so I came up with a clever little trick that didn't require me to buy a mulcher (have you seen how expensive they are??!!)

Put the catcher on the mower, lay the old plants out and mow away!



Neck minute, mulch! You can sprinkle it on top of your garden beds, add it to your compost pile or make trenches in your garden beds and bury it. Either way, the worms will love it and it will break down quickly, feeding your soil.



Note: don't do this with your weeds, just the old veggie plants. The weeds need to go into the bin.

I have a delivery of pea straw coming this afternoon which I'll start laying over the beds that are going to be empty until spring. Unlike every other year, I'm going to be super organised and not leave my mulching until the last minute. My garden next year is going to be a super oasis of productivity, lol!

Ahh, I love a good weekend spent in the garden. I put on the radio, lather the kids in sunscreen and we go and get dirty. It's good for the soul!

I hope your weekend has been a good one too.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment