Tuesday 13 November 2012

Broad Bean Falafels - Using The Garden's Produce

Finally I'm getting some results from the veggie garden. This last week, the broad beans have been big enough to pick so I trawled the internet for recipe ideas and came up with this one (which I've modified a bit for my own taste).


I'm going to use the falafels in hamburgers and disguise the fact that they're essentially just "bean burgers"!

2 Cups Broad Beans (you could use frozen peas/beans or tin chickpeas if you don't have B-Beans)
1 Small Onion
1 Clove Garlic
1/2 Red Chilli
1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper (I used Mexican Mix)
2 Tsp Fine Grated Lemon Rind
Handful of Mint
Handful of Coriander (I used Dill because Roge doesn't like Coriander)
1 Tsp Flour
Breadcrumbs for rolling balls in (optional)


1 - Steam the 2 cups of of broad beans for 10 minutes
2 - Put the steamed beans and all the rest of your ingredients into a food processor and blend until well pureed.


3 - Stir in the flour
4 - Heat a deep fryer full of veggie oil or put a few inches of veggie oil in the bottom of a saucepan and heat to approx 180 degrees.
5 - Make little falafel balls and drop them into the hot oil until they're medium/dark brown.
6 - Remove balls from oil and cool/drain on kitchen paper.

Serve in fresh bread rolls with lots of salad and tahzieki. If you have time, you could make your own Tahzieki although I didn't, mine it's pre packaged from the supermarket.


Overall I thought this meal was a bit of a winner. Roge and Ewan both loved it and now I have something I can do with those broad beans which are coming out my ears at present!

No comments:

Post a Comment