Thursday 25 October 2012

Little Golden Book Bunting Flags

Last weekend I finally got off my rear end and did a little project I'd been intending on doing for ages. A friend of mine is having a baby soon and as a small gift I wanted to make her a bunting flag with a difference. Using an old Little Golden Book (cost a whole $1 from the local op shop), I pulled it apart, cut it up and sewed the little flags together. Here is how I did it:


Firstly, I separated all the pages, making sure I kept them in order as I still want to be able to read most of the story even though it is being turned into a bunting flag.


I measured the pages and marked exactly half way, then drawing a line up four centimetres. From the top of that line, I then drew a line down to each corner, hence creating a perfect triangle.


Cut along the lines you have measured.


As you can see, little flags are starting to emerge.


Finally to add a bit of interest and so the flag doesn't just look like a piece of paper with a tiny triangle cut out the bottom, I've used my "pinking scissors" (they cut zig zags and these scissors can be found at Spotlight) and cut around the pages.


Finally I sewed a cheap piece of ribbon along the top of all the pages to link them and Ta da! One bunting flag. I've deliberately cut the flags in this shape so you can still read the book if you want but you don't have to do it like this. You can cut each page into a big triangle or even a circle if you want. Some other ideas can be found at these links to the etsy store:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/111070789/repurposed-vintage-childrens-book-paper?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=little+golden+book+bunting&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_search_type=all

or

http://www.etsy.com/listing/105147131/lady-and-the-tramp-vintage-little-golden?ref=sr_gallery_16&ga_search_query=little+golden+book+bunting&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_search_type=all


Lastly I've packed the little gift into a recycled paper bag with a home made card. Such a simple idea and it doesn't take very long (or much skill). I know I always say this but I personally think that making someone a gift is far more special than going out and buying something from a store. This gift cost a total of $1 for the book and $2 for the ribbon which I purchased from the local 2 dollar shop.

So to Ange and her new soon-to-arrive baby, good luck, we'll be thinking of you and can't wait to meet the little bundle of joy. X

No comments:

Post a Comment