Friday 22 June 2012

Bircher Muesli in my Tummy, Yum!

Yesterday I had my first day back at work after a year on maternity leave. It was a hard day and I found myself underprepared for the mental strain of catching up on 12 months of changes. That in mind, last night before I crashed onto the couch, I put together a wholesome brekkie, ready for this morning.



Bircher muesli is something I've only discovered in the last 12 months and now it's one of my favourite breakfast meals. I originally started with a recipe I found online but now I just add whatever I feel like at the time.

Here is a rough recipe for you to use:

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup linseed
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup bran
1/2 cup shredded coconut
A handful of chopped walnuts
A handful of chopped dried apricots or dried pears or dried apple
1 tbs honey
3/4 cup apple juice
Enough rice milk (or soy or normal milk) to cover all the ingredients (another cup approx)




Put all the ingredients into a bowl and in the fridge overnight so it can soak. By morning the milk and juice will have absorbed into the ingredients and made it soft. At this point add approx 1/2 cup vanilla yoghurt.

Serve with a bit of grated green apple, extra yoghurt or a few blueberries or banana. Then enjoy!



So simple and the beauty of bircher is that you can add or remove ingredients depending on what you like (or have in the cupboard). Plus it's a low GI meal which means you'll stay fuller for longer which is just what I need today to keep me going for my second day at work. I'm back to normal duties, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment