Saturday 7 April 2012

Green Tomato Pickles - a diamond in the rough?

I've just picked the last of my very sad looking tomatoes. Some haven't ripened and the others are a bit small and not good for much....or are they??


I've reverted to my trusty old bible, A Year in a Bottle by Sally Wise and look what I found, a recipe for Green Tomato Pickles. Challenge accepted!

1Kg Onions
3Kg Tomatoes
3 Tbs Cooking Salt
3 Cups White or Cider Vinegar
1/2 Tsp Ground Pepper
1 Kg Sugar
3 Tbs Curry Powder
3 Tbs Mustard Powder


To start with, weigh how much produce you have. The recipe is for 3kg of tomatoes but I only have 1kg so I am going to cut all the ingredients down by a third.


Cut the tomatoes and onions up, add salt and put the lid on. Let it sit overnight.


Fast forward to the next day. Add your ingredients and simmer away for an hour.


Ta Da! I made steak for tea last night and wow, the pickle was really good. I would even go as far as to say, better than the tomato relish I made earlier in the season which I spent far more time making. Who would have thought that those green and grotty tomatoes could be made into something that yummy!

The full recipe can be found online at http://www.abc.net.au/tasmania/stories/s1328033.htm

Another post you might be interested in is How to save tomato seeds for next seasons crop.

2 comments:

  1. I am salivating just looking at that jar... So hard to find decent tomato relish here! And gosh are you busy!! I find it very inspiring though I chafe because I have no garden :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just picked the last of my very sad looking tomatoes. Some haven't ripened and the others are a bit small and not good for much....or are they?? matcha tea set perth

    ReplyDelete